COVID19 MESSAGE – 26 May 2020
On 14 May 2020 New Zealand entered COVID19 alert level 2. Project office-based staff have returned to working in the office, taking care to observe rigorous hygiene standards and safe distancing.
From 20 May contractors began working on the Cathedral site. They and any visitors to the site will follow a comprehensive health and safety management plan tailored to this project and location, including COVID19 specific requirements.
We could not be more delighted that physical work has begun. Thank you for your continued support.
Transforming for the future
The Anglican Cathedral in Christchurch, an iconic heritage building located in the heart of Christchurch’s Cathedral Square, was severely damaged by earthquakes in 2010 and 2011.
The Christ Church Cathedral Reinstatement Project Team is reinstating the Cathedral using a combination of repair, restoration, reconstruction/rebuild and seismic strengthening.
The 19th century Cathedral will be transformed for the next century. It will look similar, with its important heritage features retained. It will be safer, more functional, more flexible and more comfortable. It will be better equipped for future worship and civic events.
It will be a place where all can gather and be at home, hosting friends, strangers, neighbours, tourists and visitors to our city. As the Cathedral comes back to life, it will become a symbol of hope and confidence restored.
The project will take between 7 and 10 years.
In the heart of our city there is no place like it
- A spiritual and sacred place for worshipping and celebrating; for listening and debating; for laughter and tears.
- An unconditionally welcoming place for people of all faiths and none.
- An iconic place for Christchurch, Canterbury and New Zealand.
- A historic place for memories, stories, heritage and taonga.
- A civic place for the events that shaped us as a city.
- A popular place where 700,000 people visited each year before the earthquakes.
- An important place for a thriving central city.
Find our latest updates, media releases and copies of our newsletters HERE